12840 Mouth of Smith River Rd.
Smith River, Ca. 95567
The Xaa-wan’-k’wvt (Howonquet) Early Learning Program (X.E.L.P.) has two programs that provide a culturally rich environment that fosters a positive image and helps our youngest children experience the pride and confidence needed to become inquisitive and enthusiastic learners. The Tolowa Dee - ni' Nation, received a Federal Head Start grant in 2007. Our full-day Tribal Head Start operates Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 3:00pm throughout the school year, serving children three to five years of age. Our full-day, full year Early Learning Center operates Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 5:30pm throughout the year, serving children two years, nine months to five years of age. The primary purpose of X.E.L.P. is to ensure our preschool aged children are prepared for school and have the opportunity learn the Tolowa language and culture. X.E.L.P. has a comprehensive program that serves the whole family and open to our local community.
L istening Responsively
E ncouraging Compassionately
A cknowledging Strengths
D emonstrating Excellence
W orking in Rhythm
I ndividually and Collectively
S trengthening Supportive Connections
E ngaging in Diverse Learning Communities
R esulting in Trusting Relations
Increase Parent Participation
- Full day Head Start
- Full day, full year Early Learning Center
Head Start Parents
When Head Start parents document X.E.L.P.’s School Readiness Objectives, such as read at least one book to your child every week, their time counts toward a donation to our Head Start program. This is called an in-kind donation. It is an opportunity for our Head Start parents to “Give Back” to our program.
Click here: School Readiness Link for Parents
Facebook Page: Howonquet Head Start Parent Committee 2017-18
This Facebook page is administered by the Head Start Parent Committee and is a closed informational page available only to our X.E.L.P.parents. You can ask to join this closed group on Facebook if you are a parent who has a child enrolled in our program.
Click here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208273912924458/
Child Development Milestones
Click to download: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/milestones-in-action.html
Previous Year’s Achievements:
- Federal Head Start and California Adult Child Food Program reviews are in compliance with no findings.
- Operating a full day/five days a week Head Start program due to a Federal Head Start duration grant received
- Received one-time funding grant to purchase new kitchen equipment
- Xaa-wan’-k’wvt Chee-ne’ Tetlh-tvm’ (Howonquet Tree Garden) has trees planted and open to the community soon
- A Taa- laa-wa cultural story book was created and printed for X.E.L.P. Graduation on "How the Sun Rises" through a First 5 Del Norte grant. A special thank you to the Waa - tr’vslh - ‘a~ (Culture) Department, X.E.L.P. Parent Committee, teachers and children in our program who made this possible.
- 2016-2017 Annual Report
Phone: 707-487-9255 ext. 1505 Phone: 707-487-1113 (direct line) Fax: 707-487-0267 Email email@example.com
Phone: 707-487-9255 ext. 1501 Phone: 707-487-1113 (direct line) Fax: 707-487-0267 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 707-487-9255 ext. 1500 Phone: 707-487-1113 (direct line) Fax: 707-487-0267 Email email@example.com
Family Lifeway Coordinator
Phone: 707-487-9255 ext. 1520 Fax: 707-487-0267 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan`-dee-ni` (Spring Salmon) Class
Chis-chu (Elk) Class
Vacant –Teacher Classroom Aide - Sarah Campbell Email email@example.com Classroom – 707-487-9255 ext. 1521